Like Me

Don't forget to like my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/jillskitchenkc

Sunday, April 22, 2012

the Cos Burger and Jillicious Fries, a tale of two friends

"I don't eat cheese"
"Hahahahaha"
"No I'm serious, I don't eat cheese."
***blank stare***
"What?"
"What do you mean you 'don't eat cheese'?"
"I mean I DON'T EAT CHEESE!"

I didn't know what to make of him, my husband's bff from waaaaaaaay back, Chris Costner. I was like, is this guy for real? I mean what kind of crazy person doesn't eat cheese? Turns out the best kind. Over the years we have become great frienemies, agreeing to disagree on everything from how to make chili to Tim Tebow. He's taught me that not everyone in the world grew up eating cheese straight out of the refrigerator like I do, did. Did, yeah. And, that you can be a great cook even if you aren't an adventurous one. And I've taught him a thing or two as well, like how to lose to a girl in fantasy football.

I love to experiment when making burgers. Although I do not like big chunks of stuff inside my burger, I do like big chunks of some things on top of my burger. Like my Smokey BBQ Bacon Burger topped w thick cut peppered bacon and giant fried onion rings. I love using different kinds of cheeses and sauces and all the things that Costner hates. But the truth of the matter is my favorite burger is pretty basic: cheese and ketchup. Never yellow mustard. I hate yellow mustard. I love all other kinds of mustard, whole grain, spicy, Dijon, honey and even horseradish. But I loathe yellow mustard. Except in my meat loaf sauce, but I already explained that. Tangent much?

Cheese and ketchup.

With a nicely toasted bun. And some super duper delicious hand-cut french fries. 

Costner wants his w no cheese please.

Fine. No cheese it is. But he has to at least promise to try and make my fries. That's how it works. And you should try to make my fries too, because they are delicious.  But you can make your burgers anyway you want because regardless of how you make it, the burger and fries will still end up being friends. Great friends.


 I like to use good old russet potatoes for my fries. They are usually the  longest and they cook faster than their waxier counterparts like the Yukon gold or red bliss. I cut them in half length wise and I always try to do it so it's through the widest part of the potato so I have more surface area to work with. Next I cut each half into 1/4" planks. I seem to have to forgotten to capture that moment on film. Sorry!

 Then I cut each plank into strips. I do my best to get them as uniform as possible but I don't waste any of it by trimming off the edges or anything crazy like that. My favorite part is the skin anyway!

Once I have them all cut up I make a quick brine or bath if you prefer for the fries to chill in while I get the burgers ready. My "bath" is always different because I tend to use what I have on hand. Any kind of vinegar will work. My favorite to use is malt vinegar but I was out so today I opted for Balsamic. {I used the cheaper one of the 2 Balsamics that I had on hand. I wouldn't use anything expensive for this unless you can afford to and then by all means use the best of the best of whatever you have!!!}

 I fill a large bowl w enough cold water to cover the potatoes, then I add about 1/4 cup of vinegar. I love the way rosemary tastes w potatoes so I threw a couple of sprigs of those in as well. OPTIONS I LIKE TO USE: malt vinegar and cracked garlic cloves, soy sauce and fresh ginger w a touch of sriracha, red wine vinegar w crushed red pepper, cilantro and lime juice, and white vinegar w lots of sea salt. 
There is no time limit or schedule for these fries now. You can even keep them bathing for up to 2 days in the fridge if you need to. Just be sure to let them dry on some paper towels before plunging them into the hot oil or you will be splattered like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Now, normally I use Omega-3 or canola oil, but for my french fries I like to use vegetable oil. For obvious reasons. Because they are vegetables and because it have a very high burning temperature which is important when frying. Preheat whatever oil you are using to 400° before even thinking about frying these though. I selfishly included this picture because I thought it looked cool w the reflections in the oil...
You will also need a sheet pan lined w something to protect it and some paper towels to line it as well.


You already know I am a multi-tasker, so it is now I bring to you my Cos Burger. Simple but delicious.

 I used ground chuck and mostly use ground chuck for our burgers. We like them to be juicy but not too greasy. Though I have been know to destroy some greasy burgers. But we don't do greasy on a regular basis, and that is part of the beauty of cooking at home ~ you control the ingredients! I have to season whatever I am cooking so I went w a few solids: kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and grill seasoning (which just happened to be Kansas City style, oh yeah!).

 I seasoned the beef w the salt and pepper and then drizzled Worcestershire sauce all over it. We LOVE Worcestershire, so I am somewhat liberal w it although I don't want the burger to be wet. I mix it together gently so I don't overwork the meat and make it tough. Gross! Make your patties however you want! For the Cos Burger I did mine thin to win and small to fit the tiny buns we used. Hahahaha, tiny buns :))
I sprinkled the grill seasoning onto each side of the burger, followed by a light patting so it all sticks. Then I let them come to room temp while I did the FIRST FRY.


I placed a small handful of  the dry fries into the frying basket and gave her a good dunking.  The first fry is to "par cook" the potatoes so you don't burn the outside while the inside stays raw. This can really splatter and make a mess so please be careful when frying.
 I use a slotted spoon to stir the potatoes up from the bottom and all around so they don't stick together. Be sure to to these in small batches so they fry quicker and so your oil doesn't over flow!

 When they are a light golden brown take them out, let them drain and them put them on the paper towel lined tray. Once all the potatoes have been fried then it is time to throw the burgers on.
Ok, I lied. It's time to toast the buns!

 And real quick before you put the burgers on, grab a handful of the fries and put them back into the fryer for the SECOND FRYING.
 NOW it's burger time! As I said before, I use my counter-top griddle for everything. Burgers are no exception. Not only can I cook several at one time, it gives them that awesome crunchy crust.


Sizzle, sizzle, sizzle...


Working in the restaurant industry I have had the pleasure of meeting some extraordinary people w some pretty amazing talents. One of those blokes is my stainless guy, Mike from England. He is the sweetest guy, reminds me of someones pappy, sort of. He can make anything out of stainless steel. When I was slinging burgers at the tennis club my husband works for, he made me this press. He also made me a stainless 'lid' w a handle for steaming on griddle. Don't worry, I have never used the press to squeeze the juice out of a burger, it is simply to help keep the burger flat so it gets that awesome crunchy crust. Thanks again for the sweet gifts Mike from England, your a right fair chap :)


When the fries float to the top and the are a deep golden brown, pull them out and let the drain just a second before returning them to the paper towel lined sheet.

For tonight's meal I seasoned them only w a little salt and pepper while they were still hot. But as w the bath options, you can season them w anything you like.
 For the malt vinegar and garlic fries, I use sea salt and white pepper. For the soy and ginger fries, I use a pinch of Chinese 5 spice seasoning,  and for the red wine vinegar one I use cumin and some chili powder. Endless varieties await you, you need only to imagine the possibilities!!!

 These guys are coming along nicely. Is that butter I see on your griddle, Jill? Why yes, yes it is. What can I say, if you are gonna blow it, blow it all away...

Seriously, you can't tell me these fries don't look delicious. I mean they are crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. Salty and just greasy enough that you have a reason to be licking your fingers.

 Cheese and ketchup...

 Two pieces of cheese, I took Costner's piece too!

Somebody go tell Cos his burger w no cheese is ready, he just needs to come fix his tiny buns ;)

No comments: