Like Me

Don't forget to like my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/jillskitchenkc

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

If there is one meal that I know will put a smile on my husband's face it's spaghetti w meat sauce. When we first got married, almost 17 years ago, I thought I knew how to make a great spaghetti w meat sauce. I would buy a jar of "meat flavored" sauce, some ground beef, pasta and the garlic bread that came oven ready in a foil wrapper. I'd use a little Italian seasoning on the beef and I'd do my best to NOT overcook the spaghetti and burn the bread. As long as I sprinkled some Parmesan and dried parsley over it, it looked almost delicious. Ugh. I shudder to think of those days and the stupid, but funny mistakes I made in the kitchen. This is the plight of the self-taught cook: trial and error.

I have a pretty standard tomato sauce that I use as a base for a million different versions. I developed it over many, many, many years of failed attempts. I tweaked it yet again based on what I had on hand ~ I made this entire meal w ingredients that were already in my kitchen. I did not go to my beloved grocery store. Hmph.

Do these pictures help? Here's what I used:
1/2 pound each, ground pork and ground sirloin
fresh basil, rosemary, thyme and oregano
beef stock
extra virgin olive oil
onion, garlic, red pepper
white sugar
salt and pepper
tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and
petite cut diced tomatoes w onions and garlic
I also used some Balsamic vinegar to add some richness and well, 'excellentness'.

 As usual, I started by prepping the veggies. I diced the onion and red pepper and minced the garlic. Then I added them to a hot pan w some extra virgin olive oil in it. I seasoned them w salt and pepper and sauteed them until they were just softened and the garlic was fragrant.
 Then I added the meats, seasoned it w more salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. Because you can never have enough garlic, right Lou? ;)



I browned the meat until cooked through and the delicious bits started to stick to the bottom of the pan.
Next the crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes dove in head first and I stirred it all together and let it simmer for a few minutes
 
 Then I added enough beef stock to make it look like this. Yes I do realize that is a terrible way to write a recipe, but this is the way I cook. I simply can't help it. If I had to make a guess, I'd say it was about 1 to 1 1/4 cups. or four full turns around the widest part of the pan. It needs to be a bit soupy so the tomato paste can do it's job.


And do it's job it did! I added two large spoonfuls and stirred it slowly until the paste was completely incorporated and and the sauce was nice and thick. You know, like meat sauce should be! It is my belief that a good meat sauce should never be runny, it should cling to your pasta, hug it really, like a sweet Italian grandmother.

Oh yes, it's herb 101 time.

 If you already know how to cut basil or any herb into a chiffonade then please feel free to skip this part. If you are reading this going "uh, what is a chiffonade", then please proceed.

To 'chiffonade' means simply to cut into ribbon, or rag (chiffon in French) style strips. You can do this in 3 easy steps:
1. Stack the leaves from largest to smallest w the stems all pointing out. I flipped mine around once I was ready to roll them up as in step 2.

 
 2. Roll them into a tight-ish cigar shape.


3. Cut into thin strips and then separate by gently running your fingers through them and letting it fall like confetti back onto your cutting board. This last part is essential because it is fun. :)

 It was my great pleasure to introduce the herbs to the rest of the party.
 At some point you should probably boil some spaghetti to a nice al dente.



Last but certainly not least, I added 2 full turns of the pan of Balsamic vinegar. Can you see it swirled in there just waiting to enhance the other ingredients? Now I could lie and tell you that I use really expensive aged Balsamic, but I am if nothing else, a woman of staunch integrity. So, I am proud to admit that I buy what I can afford. I buy the most expensive one that's on sale so I feel like I am getting the biggest bargain. I do the same w my olive oil.
I really, really, really hope that you are among those that follow the Italian tradition of tossing your pasta w your sauce. It is a wonderful and common-sensical (urban dictionary acknowledges it as a word, what?) practice that allows you to enjoy both the pasta and  the sauce. It also helps to keep the pasta warm so it doesn't get sticky or chewy. And let's be honest, isn't it better when you get a little of everything in every bite? I'd hate to miss out on a minute of this delicious life!!!

Chris loves this stuff... I mound it up like it's his last meal. What? No bread? Of course there was bread! Of course I didn't burn it and of course I forgot to take of picture of it. Which sorta chaps my hide because I bought a really good boule of rustic Italian bread from WF and made my own cheesy garlicky spread for it. Double dang!!! oh well...
I found these giant pasta blates or plowls (a cross between a plate and a bowl) at a thrift store for a buck a piece. They're pretty sweet.

"Hey Jill, what are you gonna do w those leftovers" , you say? Great question, and I have a great solution for a super tasty and super easy do-over!


How ya like me now??? You'd like me more if I had a better camera, sorry...
That's right, I made a cheesy baked spaghetti! It really couldn't have been simpler. I sprayed my dish w a little canola spray so that edges would crisp up but it wouldn't add any unnecessary fat. Then I piled in the leftover spaghetti w meat sauce. I had some beef stock left so I poured about 1/4 cup (I actually paid attention, didn't measure, but paid attention) of it directly into the container that I had kept the spaghetti in last night. I shook it up, uh huh, and then poured it all over the spaghetti. It was just enough liquid to help speed up the reheating process and to sauce it up a bit so it didn't dry out in the oven. Then I topped it w a bunch of shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. I baked it covered w foil in a preheated 400 degree oven until I could hear it bubbling when I opened the oven door. About 20 mins or so. Then I uncovered it turned the oven down to 375 degrees and continued to bake it w the cheese bread sticks, that I made from some organic hot dog buns I also got at WF and also forgot to take a picture of :l, for another 10 - 15 minutes until the cheese was all metly. I let it sit for about 10 mins so that it could set up.
To serve it, just use a sharp knife to cut through it and a spatula to get it out. Check out those crispy edges... mmm.... I have one serving left, who wants it???




No comments: